- Club Info
- News & Race Reports
- Race Reports 2013
- Race Reports 2012
- Race Reports 2011
- Race Reports 2010
- Race Reports 2009
- Andrew Henderson Appreciation
- Lynda Brown appreciation
- Galleries 2012
- Galleries 2011
- The Original Mountain Marathon (OMM) – 29th/30th October 2011
- H&H Cashel Handicap Race – 29th October 2011
- Amsterdam Marathon and Half Marathon – 14th October 2011
- Cabbage Patch 10 Miler – 16th October 2011
- British Gas Great Swim – Strathclyde Park – 24th September 2011
- Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie – 25th August 2011
- Bella 5km – 21st August 2011
- Devil O the Highlands – 6th August 2011
- Tour of Fife – July 2011
- Arran Relay – July 23rd 2011
- Claygate Canter 5 – 10th July 2011
- Vale of Leven 10k – 12th June 2011
- Gail’s 40th Run – 5th June 2011
- Ben Lomond Hill race – 8 May 2011
- Montane Highland Fling – April 2011
- Wray Scarecrow 10k – 23 April 2011 & Cats Bells Fell Run
- Ritchies Run – Garelochead 10 April 2011
- Cupar 5 – 26 Feb 2011
- David Spy Run – 12 February 2011
- National Masters XC – Kirkcaldy 5 February 2011
- HMS Neptune
- LSK Scottish Veterans Road Relay – Strathclyde Park – 30 January, 2011
- Devils Burden Hill Relay Race – 22 January 2011
- Devils Burden Recce – 3 January 2011
- Galleries 2010
- Christmas Hare and Tortoise – 2010
- Santa Dash 2010
- December Snow
- Dunbarton AA XC – November 2010
- West District XC – Rouken Glen
- Children’s Hospice 10k – 30 October 2010
- Amsterdam Half Marathon – 17 October 2010
- Dunbartonshire XC Relay Champs – Oct 2010
- Cashel Hill Race September 2010
- Gartocharn Dumpling Duathlon – 18 September 2010
- Mid Argyll Triathlon 26 September 2010
- Great Scottish Run – 5th September 2010
- Glen Fruin 2010
- Helensburgh Half Marathon – 1st August
- Harris Half Marathon -13th July
- Tour of Fife 2010
- Barrathon – 3rd July 2010
- Hare and Tortoise – June 2010
- Sonia O’Sullivan Evening – 17 June 2010
- Dirty 30 – Glenelg – 12 June 2010
- Vale of Leven 10km – 13 June 2010
- Dumbarton 10K – 3 June 2010
- Helensburgh 10k 2010 – 20 May
- Munich 1/2M & 10k – May 2010
- Montane Highland Fling – WHW – 24 April
- Rotterdam Marathon – April 2010
- 100 Mile Run – March 2010
- Tiso Carnethy 5, Hill Race – Feb 2010
- National XC – Feb 2010
- David Spy’s Big Run – Feb 2010
- Scottish Masters XC Champs – Feb 2010
- Scottish Veterans Road Relays – Jan 2010
- Devils Burden Hill Race Relay – Jan 2010
- Edinburgh International XC – January 2010
- Galleries 2009
- New to Running?
October – December
West District Cross Country – Irvine – 10 December 2011
The dirty (or should that be muddy) dozen from Helensburgh AAC performed well at the West District Cross Country on Saturday .
Staged, as usual, at Irvine, conditions underfoot were much muddier than in the past due to the recent heavy rain.
Six Burgh Babes took part and the first over the finish line for the club over the four-mile course was Jenny Fitzgerald in 28.04, followed by Jan Fellowes in 29.56.
The ever improving Gail Thomas was next in 31.50 and, in a rare cross country outing, Liz McHard came home in 33.49, closely followed by Mary Connolly in 34.12. Completing the team was Anna Wylie in 35.13. Jan, Gail and Liz’s efforts were rewarded as they finished 5th Vet team.
Six men from Helensburgh ran next over a six-mile course.
Paul Thompson beat many a younger competitor to be first over the line for Burgh in 35.12. Hot on his heels for most of the race was Chris Moses (36.10) and then Brian Grant in 42.06.
Burgh new boy, Daniel Hart, started conservatively but then increased his pace to finish in 46.36.
Having been overtaken by Dan on the final lap, Alistair Wylie held on for a time of 47.29 and, enjoying his day out and the enthusiastic support on the way round was Andrew Stafford, who finished in 53.54.
It was then another race for the teams to get home and scrubbed up for the club’s Christmas Dinner.A good time was had by all but, having put themselves through the mill in the mud, the evening was all the sweeter for the cross country competitors.
British and Irish Masters Cross Country International – Bellahouston Park – 26 November 2011
There were medals amidst the mud for the three Helensburgh runners who braved what could only be described as atrocious conditions to represent Scotland at the British and Irish Masters Cross Country International on Saturday.
Torrential rain and gale force winds, added to the sodden ground underfoot, made the going very tough for Julia Henderson, Jan Fellowes and Paul Thompson as they competed against teams from Eire, Northern Ireland, Wales and England on the highly challenging course at Glasgow’s Bellahouston Park.
The first race of the day was the women’s 6km competition and Julia, running in the youngest of the veterans categories (W35-39), led the Burgh charge as she finished 7th in her age group (and an impressive 15th overall) in 22.42. Each country had four runners in each age group, with three counting towards the team prize and Julia’s team won the silver medal, just a tantalising single point behind gold medallists, England.
Jan, running in the W55-59 category, was part of the bronze medal winning team, recording a time of 28.59.
In the 8km men’s race, Paul Thompson (V55-59) ran a well-executed race and was just out of the individual medals when he finished equal 4th, in 28.57. However, his efforts were rewarded, being second counter in the silver medal team.
The day’s activities did not stop there and everyone went to the Crowne Plaza for drinks, dinner, prizegiving and a ceilidh into the wee small hours!
Kilmarnock Harriers Open Cross Country Race – 13th November 2011
Three Helensburgh runners headed down the A77 on Remembrance Sunday for this small but well-organised race.
There was an ulterior motive to competing as the event also doubled up as a ’recce’, with the Scottish Masters Cross Country Championships being held here in February 2012.
The day was mild and sunny – it’s not often in November that some runners can be heard complaining that the temperature is too hot – while the course was testing and consisted of muddy fields, a steep hill and woodland trails.
The female race included U17s, U20s, Seniors and Vets, although the U17s did a shorter first lap. Jan Fellowes, the only Burgh Babe competing, finished 7th (1st W55) in the 6km two-lap main race in a tjme of 28.57.
In the three-lap 9km male race, Burgh’s Paul Thompson also finished 7th (1st V50) in a very competitve field in 34.07. Andrew Stafford, competing in his first race since January, finished bravely in 53.54.
Headless Horseman 5km – Frederick, USA – 13th November 2011
Strathaven 10km – Strathaven – 6th November 2011
Scottish 4km XC Championships – Bellahouston – 5th November 2011
The Original Mountain Marathon (OMM) – Comrie – 29th/30th October 2011
H&H Cashel Trail Handicap – Cashel – 29th October 2011
National Cross Country Relays – Cumbernauld – 22nd October 2011
Cabbage Patch 10 Miler – Twickenham – 16th October 2011
Dunbartonshire Cross Country Relays – Helensburgh – 15th October 2011
Amsterdam Marathon and Half Marathon – Amsterdam, Holland – 14th October 2011
Scottish Vets Half Marathon – Clydebank – 2nd October 2o11
Loch Ness Marathon and 10km – Inverness – 2nd October 2011
Denny 10km – 2nd October 2o11
provide encouragement while also running the 10k. For marathon runners conditions were about right for this scenic route, because while south of the border was having an Indian summer, race day in Inverness was damp and dreich although not too cold. Despite a downpour just before the start of both races, morale remained high. Karen ran a very well executed marathon keeping a steady pace throughout and put to use all the advice and tips from ‘old hands’ at this distance. She covered the 26.2miles in an excellent PB of 3hrs 42.44! She has certainly thrown down the gauntlet to all the club runners doing the Amsterdam marathon very soon. Jan, despite thinking she might not even complete the 10k because of injuries, ended up 1st W50 , with a trophy and prize money, in a time of 45.11. Also running this weekend was Paul Thompson who won the Denny 10k in 35.35 and Jenny Fitzgerald (who is based down south at present) who was 1st lady in the Teign Valley 10.25 mile race in a time of 73.34. Its hilly profile should help her in the forthcoming cross country season.